Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ranking NBA Primary Logos: #20 Rockets

Now looking back at the Rockets' logos, they haven't had the best looking but they served their purpose. The Rockets used this logo for the longest time, almost 20 years. That logo is how I remember them in their championship days in the 90's with Hakeem "The Dream". Then they switched to the shark faced rocket in 1994 and I didn't like the change in color schemes. However,  I never thought it was that bad of a logo but it didn't need to be on the jerseys. In fact, I think that's were the Rockets have been weak. But they dropped the shark and moved to the current logo in 2003-2004 season. This logo is good not great. I like the use of sneaking in the H for Houston into the R. They did away with a basketball which is rare for NBA logos.

WAYS 2 IMPROVE

Really for me it comes to two things. The font is a little much and clunky but I can live with it. What bothers me the most is the removal of yellow from their identity. When a color has been a part of you since your inception, why remove it. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And that sums up the Rocket logos in a nutshell. I have never hated or loved any of the logos. But each time, I didn't necessarily think a major change was needed. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of changes in Houston. Leave the logo alone and work on the colors and I think they'll be fine, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment