Monday, May 17, 2010

Ranking NBA Primary Logos: #10 Nets

Well, well we've moved into my top ten. The top ten as I previously stated are ones that I feel don't need to be changed. I may suggest a tweak or support a minor adjustment, but overall leave it alone. My #10 logo might be surprising, the New Jersey Nets. The Nets were dog shit this year but that logo is a keeper. What I love about the Nets logo is it's the only logo in any of the 4 Major sports that looks totally 3-D. I'm not talking about a little bevel or shadowing for character, it is completely moved, angled, and designed to look like it is physically popping off the paper, screen, etc. It is like the Avatar of logos (although I haven't actually seen Avatar). It's not neccessarily the best logo ever but it's freaking 3-D. And the Nets came out with this 1997, so they are innovators and where way ahead of the times. So for those reasons I am putting them into my top 10 for complete originality. With that said, a funny thing about the Nets: in their entire history as the Nets (originally known as the Americans which why isn't their a team known as the Americans any more? I guess it doesn't ring as nice as Canadiens), they have never had a basketball net in any of their logos. Isn't that weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment